Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Changes

For the second time in over a month, I actually was still in deep slumber when morning came – as opposed to being already wide awake or having not fallen asleep at all from the night before and/or from the night before that. In the midst of my emotional maelstroms I always lose sleep but never like this before. The first week found me going for 7-8 days with only half an hour or an hour of sleep a night. I'd almost stopped eating. A piece of fruit here, a little cereal, a glass of milk (and I don't normally drink milk), peanuts, ice cream. Yeah, really healthy considering my normal eating habits. One day I came out of the shower and weighed myself. I'd lost 9 lbs in a week (and I only weigh 118 lbs). I think it was somewhere around there that I decided something had to change or I'd disappear into thin air.

I tried to breathe the air again and see if it felt any different. There was the start of some musty scents that were sure signs of autumn. They are even there in a land with not quite real seasons and even in suburbia. My eyes could still recognize the beauty in the hues of fallen leaves, the hues of decay. Even in decay there is beauty.

I don't know where this is all taking me but I know autumn is a time for for many things to turn down, decay, go dormant in order to rise again. Whatever comes, I am sure it will be interesting, challenging, beautiful, heartbreaking and will irrevocably change me. Nothing is permanent.

No comments: